I've never done a reading challenge before but I decided to try one out for 2017. Here are my categories and titles.
1. A book set in my home state- The Marrowbone Marble Company (set in Huntington, WV which is my original home state and the town where I went to college-Marshall U, WE ARE MARSHALL and I will be forever green, with hint of Duke blue.)
2. An award winning book- The Narrow Road to the Deep North (Man Booker Prize plus the title grabbed me.)
3. A classic I haven't read- Frankenstein
4. Collection of essays- How the Universe Got its Spots
5. A book I will read with a friend - The Post Birthday World (This book is on my friend Lacey's list and we will read it the same month.)
6. A book someone gave me- In the Sanctuary of Outcasts ( thank you Laurie! )
7. A book about books/reading- Ex Libris: Confession of a Common Reader (thank you again Laurie!)
8. A book about a topic I usually avoid- Home, How Heaven and the New Earth Satisfy Our Deepest Longings (topic is Heaven and I read a fair amount of Christian non-fiction but find that I avoid this topic. Thanks B for the book!)
9. A collection of short stories- I Am Crying All Inside
10. A book recommended by someone with good taste- In the Shadow of the Banyan (recommended by my well read friend Amy)
11. A book I bought for its title- Still Life with Bread Crumbs
12. A book about generations of a family- The Gathering ( I love heritage/ancestry and am intrigued by history).
There you have it! I decided to start January with a book about reading to set the tone so I will start with Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader. The only other month I know for sure is that I will read Frankenstein in October. I will let you know how this goes!
Do you have a reading challenge? Do tell!